The Molecular Technologist performs DNA/Molecular genetic testing in a clinical laboratory. Utilizes scientific principles as well as technical, procedural, and problem-solving aptitudes for day-to-day laboratory technical operations, quality control, quality assurance, procedure/instrument maintenance and corrective action, test result correlation, and clinical laboratory related continuing education.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science, biological science, molecular biology or appropriately related field from a regionally accredited college/university is required.
Experience/training in modern molecular genetic techniques in a clinical and/or research molecular laboratory preferred.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSURE, and/or REGISTRATIONS:
Certification as Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or Molecular Biology (MB) from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or equivalent agency as appropriate is required.
1. Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the genetics laboratory and instrumentation including but not limited to: supply inventory, quality control, calibration, reagent preparation, etc. Initiates and follows through with corrective action.
2. Accurately performs and interprets data and results of highly complex clinical laboratory tests utilizing theoretical knowledge and independent judgment in addition to established protocol, techniques and equipment manuals.
3. Communicates laboratory data and pertinent technical information to appropriate clients and individuals in an accurate and timely fashion. Includes verbal as well as electronic means.
4. Participate in development of protocols, lab manuals, new instrumentation, lab CQI or other laboratory developmental activities.
5. Provide technical guidance and be a resource for new laboratory personnel.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.
The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Must possess the required level of skills and abilities to read, write, speak, and apply mathematical concepts and sound reasoning to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job.
Must be able to perform basic operations on a computer within the Windows operating system.
This position requires problem solving skills, critical thinking skills, and the ability to multi-task.
RESPONSIBILITIES, EXPECTATIONS & STANDARDS:
Work effectively in a team environment, coordinating work flow with other team members and ensuring a productive and efficient environment.
Comply with safety principles, laws, regulations and standards associated with, but not limited to CMS, CLIA, CAP, and OSHA.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals.
The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, risk of electrical shock, sharps or cuts, compression and explosives while performing tests and specimen collection.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: The individual must be able to work the hours needed including night and weekend shifts. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, so long as the accommodations do not cause undue hardship to the employer.
About Capstone Healthcare
Leading edge, fast paced, rapidly growing diagnostic laboratory with a focus on molecular testing and new technology in the field of genetics.