ADDRESS: 701 6th Street South, St. Petersburg, Florida, 33701, United States
Bayfront Health St. Petersburg
Situated in the heart of downtown St. Petersburg on Florida’s Gulf coast, Bayfront Health St. Petersburg has served the residents of the region for more than 100 years and joined the Orlando Health system in 2020. Bayfront Health St. Petersburg is a 480-bed tertiary care center equipped to provide comprehensive medical and surgical care. The hospital offers many areas of expertise, including surgery and trauma, neuroscience, cardiology, acute rehabilitation and obstetrics. The hospital has a 38-bed neurosciences unit with a dedicated neurology team consisting of board-certified neuroscience specialists and physicians with subspecialty expertise in stroke, epilepsy and Parkinson’s disease, and includes a Level IV Epilepsy Center. In partnership with Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, Bayfront Health St. Petersburg Baby Place offers full obstetrical services and is a Level III Regional Perinatal Intensive Care Center, one of only 12 in Florida. The hospital also is home to the Bayfront Health St. Petersburg Cardiac Cath Lab, located in the James Heart Center, which offers a full range of cardiovascular care and an on-site inpatient rehabilitation unit, as well as the nearby Bayfront Health St. Petersburg Wound Care & Hyperbaric Center.
The Medical Technologist performs and reports both routine and special laboratory testing following established policies and procedures to ensure the highest quality of laboratory results within established time frames.
· Graduate from an approved school of medical laboratory technology.
· Bachelor degree.
· Completion of an approved clinical laboratory training internship.
· Current Florida license as a Medical Technologist certified in the specialty/specialties required by the laboratory section assigned.
· Verifies results and quality control data for accuracy and reliability.
· Performs, evaluates, and documents all quality control, preventive maintenance and troubleshooting procedures.
· Demonstrates computer system proficiency including ordering, resulting, and inquiry functions.
· Ensures proper utilization and preparation of reagents and supplies.
· Communicates critical results to the patient caregiver.
· Utilizes theoretical knowledge and critical thinking skills to help troubleshoot unusual situations; regularly reports unresolved issues to the immediate supervisor.
· Assists in the development of departmental policies and procedures for test performance, quality control, and preventative maintenance.
· Regularly reports work activities and pending work to the oncoming technologist.
· Responds to work related technical inquiries.
· Assumes one or more of the following responsibilities: primary operator duties, projects, teaching, and tech in charge evaluation of new technology, regulatory compliance, process improvement, or quality control maintenance.
· Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
· Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
· Performs specimen collection procedures, specimen receiving and processing as required.
· Answers the telephone and greets guests to the department.
· Maintains current job knowledge in order to effectively instruct students or other personnel.
· Responsible for an active role in the laboratory quality improvement program.
· Follows the established policies and procedures to meet regulatory and accrediting agency requirements.
· Practices infection control and safety practices and keeps a clean and organized work area.
· Maintains confidentiality of patient record, hospital and departmental matters at all times.
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida's most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.
Internal Number: Req21889
About Bayfront Health St. Petersburg
The 480-bed Bayfront Health St. Petersburg was founded in 1910. It was acquired October 1, 2020 by Orlando Health, a not-for-profit healthcare organization with $7.1 billion of assets under management. The hospital’s areas of clinical excellence include heart and vascular, surgical services, rehabilitation services, neurosciences, maternity care and – as home to the only state-accredited Level Two Adult Trauma Center in Pinellas County – emergency services and trauma care.
Bayfront Health St. Petersburg is integral to the 3,200-bed Orlando Health system which serves the southeastern United States through 15 wholly-owned hospitals and emergency departments; rehabilitation services, cancer and heart institutes, imaging and laboratory services, wound care centers, physician offices for adults and pediatrics, skilled nursing facilities, an in-patient behavioral health facility, home healthcare services in partnership with LHC Group, and urgent care centers in partnership with CareSpot Urgent Care. Nearly 4,200 physicians, representing more than 80 medical specialties and subspecialties have privileges across the system, which employs nearly 22,000 team members.