YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT A RESUME WITH YOUR APPLICATION!
Oncology Safety Manager at AdventHealth Orlando:
Location Address: 601 EAST ROLLINS STREET, Orlando, 32803
Top Reasons to work at AdventHealth Orlando:
Located on a lush tropical campus, our flagship hospital, 1,368-bed AdventHealth Orlando
serves as the major tertiary facility for much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and South America
AdventHealth Orlando houses one of the largest Emergency Departments and largest cardiac catheterization labs in the country
We are already one of the busiest hospitals in the nation, providing service excellence to more than 32,000 inpatients and 125,000 outpatients each year
Work Hours/Shift: FT Days
You Will Be Responsible For:
Demonstrates, through behavior, AdventHealth Orlando’s service standards.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
• Responsible for oversight of oncology services safety strategy development and refinement.
• Recommends and/or facilitates performance improvement activities which focus on improving patient safety and high reliable performance.
• Identifies, collects and analyzes, quantitative and qualitative patient safety data, identifies trends, creates reports and presents results to decision makers.
• Responsible for and participates in Executive Patient Safety Walk Rounds. Analyzes and reports results at campus and system PI councils, including the campus Patient Safety and Quality Committee.
• Assists in the development of and review of policies related to safety.
• Acts as a system leader and resource for the oncology teams.
• Collaborates with Education staff to design and implement safety education modules and ensure safety culture is embedded in new employee orientation and continuing education.
• Nurture a culture of accountability, where individuals are held to act in a safe and respectful manner, with training and support.
• Facilitate team training and team interventions through proactive communication skills, and unit-based simulations.
• Lay a foundation of negotiation for genuine agreement on matters of importance to caregivers, patients and families.
• Assists in supporting a learning system that identifies defects and fixes them. Continuously collect and learn from defects and successes.
• Represents safety as a member of the following:
• Safety & High Reliability Forum
• Campus Patient Safety & Quality Committees
• Oncology Governance Committees (Safety Committees and as assigned)
• System liaison for functions related to accreditation and other regulatory agencies, i.e. audits, QAPI, survey management, reported complaints.
• Responsible to collaborate with the audit team on campus performance for survey readiness
• Supports Imaging RCA investigations, audit/observation tracking, and education for staff
OPERATING & CAPITAL BUDGET/FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY:
• Demonstrates stewardship of organizational resources and mentors team members on financial implications of patient care decisions.
STRATEGIC PLANNING RESPONSIBILITY:
• Integrates the strategies of reliable processes and continuous learning with structure to make safety the accepted way of doing business.
• Under the general direction of the Program Director – Imaging Safety, develop and implement the patient safety strategy with specific focus on quality and safety best practices in the industry.
• Acts as an advocate for patient safety events in the community
PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT RESPONSIBILITY:
• Implements systematic approach to create and maintain reliable processes and continuous learning.
• Establishes and cultivates a culture where teamwork thrives based on communication and just culture approach to mistakes.
• Guides consistent improvement within the organization by reducing errors and enhancing patient safety, measures clear outcomes and associated metrics, visible internally to people doing the work and externally to public.
• Use standard improvement tools, including measurements over time, to improve work processes and patient outcomes.
• Supports the coordination of all Radiation Oncology Service Line education and facilitates team training and interventions through proactive communication skills, and unit-based simulations.
• Collaborates with Education staff to design and implement modules for new employee orientation and continuing education
• Assists Program Director – Imaging Safety in providing updates to Oncology Governance, Radiation Oncology Safety Committee, and hospital and medical staff regarding safety issues, new guidelines/statutes, and PI/Safety activities.
• Provides feedback, instructions, and developmental guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities.
• Creates an environment in which others are setting expectations and holding each other accountable; professional and personal growth is an expectation.
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. Responsibilities are subject to change.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Leadership skills, including a demonstrated willingness to pursue leadership roles with increasing levels of accountability; comfortable with decision-making responsibilities; coaching, teaching, and counseling skills; and the ability to influence and motivate.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to develop and mentor others to their optimum levels of skills and professionalism.
• Self-motivated and willing to study new fields for application in areas of responsibility. Self-starter and self-manager. Ability to define and accomplish project goals in a resourceful and timely manner.
• Effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills for interfacing with all levels of the AdventHealth team and external stakeholders of the organization. Leads teams through process and culture change with sustainment.
• Excellent analytical ability to apply theories, principles, and practices of several disciplines for problem resolution. Expertise in performance improvement methodologies.
• Ability to develop and maintain knowledge of regulations and guidelines for areas of responsibility. Expertise in patient safety principles including high reliability, patient centered care, and error/harm prevention theory and practice.
• Effective computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel
What You Will Need:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Bachelor’s Degree with 3 years of experience AND 2 years of leadership experience.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
• License/degree in one of the following:
o Active Florida license as a Registered Nurse
o Radiation Therapist
o Medical Dosimetrist
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
• Certification in Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) or Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS)
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Master’s degree in safety, quality, and/or healthcare related field.
• Two (2) years’ experience in leadership roles in a comparable health care setting.
• Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) or equivalent
• Working knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint
The Oncology Safety Manager is a passionate leader of safe, reliable, patient-centered care and achieving excellence through integrated clinical, operational, and financial performance per the AdventHealth core value of Excellence. The manager works in collaboration with the Program Director – Imaging Safety and the Radiation Oncology & Infusion clinical and operations teams to ensure patient safety. Facilitates performance improvement activities which focus on patient safety and high reliable care. The manager supports all Patient Safety Organization (PSO) activities, coordinates the planning and execution of campus/service lines action plans, and collaborates with campus department heads to improve the integrity of their department’s safety and high reliability programs. The manager collaborates to ensure safety culture and process are embedded in onboarding and ongoing education for the Oncology Service Line. This individual shall adhere to all AdventHealth policies/ procedures and rules / regulations of all applicable local, state, and federal agencies and accrediting bodies. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
At AdventHealth, Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ is our mission. It calls us to be His hands and feet in helping people feel whole. Our story is one of hope — one that strives to heal and restore the body, mind and spirit. Our more than 80,000 skilled and compassionate caregivers in hospitals, physician practices, outpatient clinics, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and hospice centers are committed to providing individualized, wholistic care.