The Instructor in Medical Laboratory Science is responsible for laboratory and clinical area instruction. The Instructor will adhere to the policies of the clinical affiliate and the university. They will split their time between Avera McKennan Hospital and University Center in Sioux Falls and our Brookings campus.
· Teaching responsibilities include lecture, laboratory and clinical practicum components in the assigned medical laboratory science discipline;
· Successful development and teaching of courses in the MLS program. Specifically, Laboratory Methods, Management, Clinical Chemistry, Hematology etc.
· Promote excellence in teaching, scholarship and service by setting high standards of academic and professional performance.
· Perform medical laboratory services, including without limitation, set-up and observe practical, simulation bench, slide reviews, case studies, proctor testing, pull specimens for practicing, testing, assist with training of SDSU students when other programs such as MLT students are on the bench for their Micro/BB, participate in recruitment events, provide virtual tours of the Avera lab, etc., and such other tasks as are reasonably requested.
· Assist in maintaining and enhancing communication within the hospital community.
· Adhere to policies and procedures of South Dakota State University, clinical affiliates, and any other state, federal or accrediting agency mandates.
· Earned Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in clinical laboratory science or closely related scientific discipline and graduation from accredited MT/CLS program;
· An ASCPBOC or ASCP-BOC generalist certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist/Medical Technologist by the start of the position;
· A Master’s degree from an accredited institution in clinical laboratory science or an appropriately related scientific discipline by date of application;
· The ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders;
· Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills;
· Demonstrated organizational and time management skill;
· Demonstrated ability to work as a contributing team member;
· Valid driver’s license, or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire, and willingness to travel.
· Doctoral degree in a relevant field;
· Previous teaching experience;
· Relevant clinical laboratory experience;
· Demonstrated leadership experience by serving on professional committees or with scholarly activity, e.g., presenting at state, regional, or national conferences.
It’s time to build your future at South Dakota State University. With 80 majors, 97 minors and excellent faculty, SDSU provides you with all the tools you need to turn your dreams into reality.
We are a place where world-class academics open big-time doors, and where you’re a part of the family from your very first day. You’ll be challenged here. You’ll be supported here. And you’ll go farther once you graduate from here. It’s time to discover where you’re going and who you will become.
It's all built by YOU and SDSU.